Monday, September 03, 2007

48-hour portrait of Kent

Well here are the photos of Kent from the weekend, enjoy. As mentioned previously, I was like a Japanese tourist snapping away at anything and everything as soon as I got off the coach at Canterbury bus station, so the following shots are pretty much like my eyes blinking at everything I see in chronological order too...well almost!


Canterbury town highstreet, I don't know what the sand on the left is all about


Face sculpture in front of the Marlowe theater just off the highstreet


A friendly warning to outsiders on campus. Somehow it sounds better than 'Trespassers will be shot on site'.

University students from London can only dream of such luxuries as having an entire old town house to themselves! Of course my friend lives in one of the 9 double bedrooms so its not all his but the location like everything else in Kent is beautiful and well manicured.



I took this photo of the famous Canterbury cathedral from the campus bus stop As we waited for the University bus to take us into town. Maybe I should've Photoshoped the lamp posts and road for a postcard-perfect view


Westgate over the Stour river that delineates the old walled border of Canterbury town. You can see cars going through that very narrow entrance but even our double-decker bus managed to scrape through it with literally a few inches to spare on either side!




Here's a view of the same entrance but from the opposite direction, you can clearly see its very narrow


Westgate from the Stour river (more like a stream if you ask me) with gondolas and their punters on the left





View of the Stour river from the bridge in leading into Westgate





The Old Kings School shop, I'm not sure if it was part of the school but its unusual leaning and bent structure seems to attract visitors


The next day we went down to Herne bay and I did more of the same on our way there.



Some of the international students playing American football with the local ones on campus in the middle of the Kent countryside. Now there's a surreal image!


The beach at Herne Bay, it's no Seychelles or Hawaii but its a beach nevertheless although it doesn't count as a beach in my book. I hate pebbles!


At least the sun was out and it wasn't completely overcast

In case the South-Westerly wind blowing in from the sea wasn't cold enough we came across this reminder of our proximity to the North Pole at one of seaside pubs


A random street leading onto the seafront


A clock tower/monument on the seafront promenade, I don't know what its about but it looked regal enough to shoot

A hint as to what we had for lunch on the beach, suffice to say it didn't feel as healthy to eat as my mussels adventure a few weeks ago and my stomach thought so too.

Well there you have it, that's my weekend getaway to the Kent countryside, and these pics took a looong time to upload so I hope whoever enjoyed reading this savoured all of them!

1 comment:

Mermaid Melanie said...

this was a lovely photo essay of your trip.

BTW i gave you a shout out on my bloggorino. just sewz you know.

;-)